Black and/or White
Artists are invited to submit entries for BLACK AND/OR WHITE, an upcoming exhibit at Tall Grass Gallery.
Black and White images can convey great delicacy and subtlety, mystery and quiet, but also command attention through bold contrasts, dramatic emphasis, and powerful forms. Since they often remove us from reality with their lack of color, black and white images can suggest an alternate time or space, one where details are paid more attention or distance can be transcended, and situations can be transformed. So the world in black and white often takes ona sense of magic realism.
Deadline to Enter is: FRIDAY, JANUARY 7, 2022
FOR THIS EXHIBIT:
> All images must be completed in black, white, or black and white media, and can include the entire range of grey tones between black and white.
> No color should be part of the images, and sepia tones are also to be excluded.
> Works may include subjects that actually exist as black and/or white:
* the natural world – animals, landscapes, weather, etc.
* man-made objects and structures – still life, architecture, etc.
* figures or any subjects – real, abstracted, imagined – that are interpreted, designed or presented only as black and/or white images.
> All sizes, styles and formats will be accepted for consideration.
> Any black and/or white medium (except video) is acceptable:
* painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, etc.)
* drawing (pencil, ink, charcoal, scratchboard, etc.)
* printmaking (linocut, etching, engraving, silkscreen, etc.)
* digital works
* graphic design
* mixed media; collage
* sculpture (3D, relief, installation, etc.)
> Various traditional criteria will be considered in choosing works for the show – compositional elements, use of media, technical skill, etc. as well as each artist’s unique vision and choices made, and the impact and lasting impression of the piece.
> Artists may submit up to 5 works for judging.
> Shipped work will be accepted. Artists are required to supply pre-paid return shipping labels with accepted work.
> Applications, entry fees and jpeg images are to be submitted through the online site www.Entrythingy.com:
which is a direct link to the BLACK AND/OR WHITE entry form.
> Questions or problems with submitting to this site
should be sent to Tall Grass at 708.748.3377.
> Works should not have been shown at Tall Grass Gallery
in the last 2 years.
> 2-dimensional work must be wired securely, and ready to hang;
no sawtooth hangers please. If wires show above the top
of the frame they cannot be hung.
> All 2D and 3D works that require special installation procedures
must be installed by the artists themselves.
> Curators reserve the right to refuse work that does not meet
the requirements or is considered too fragile or
too heavy for installation.
> All work remains on exhibit for the duration of the show.
> Unless requested otherwise by the artist, permission is given to Tall Grass to use any images of exhibited work for publicity or educational purposes.
FEES AND COMMISSION:
> A non-refundable entry fee of $25 for up to 5 entries must accompany the entry form at the time of submission.
> The gallery retains a 30% commission from any sales of work during the exhibit.
> Work may be marked NFS.
> Awards will be given for First, Second and Third Place, and for Honorable Mentions.
> Curators for the exhibit are Claudia Craemer, artist, juror and curator for numerous regional solo and group exhibits, and Debbie Craemer, Tall Grass Gallery Committee member and curator and juror for several Tall Grass exhibits.
– Exhibit dates: March 12 – April 16, 2022
– Deadline for entries: Friday, January 7, 2022
– Notification of acceptance in show by: Wednesday, January 26, 2022
– Required forms for accepted entries returned to Tall Grass by: Friday, February 11, 2022
– Delivery of works: Sunday – Tuesday, February 27 – March 1, 2022,
(Wednesday. March 2, if necessary)
– Return of exhibited works: April 17 – 20, 2021